Netball is a game played by two opposing teams of seven players each. It is believed to have evolved from basketball. The game is more common with women than men although men in some regions do play the game. Internationally, the game is governed by a body known as, international netball federation (INF) which was formed in the year 2011. The game is played in a rectangular field with goal posts at each of the two short sides.
It is played for a total time of 60 minutes divided in to four quarters of fifteen minutes each. There is an allowance of 5 minutes between the second and the third quarter as the half time and 3 minutes between the other quarters. In case of an injury, a maximum of two minutes can be given. An umpire or a player can call time and the game s paused.
A netball court is divided in to thirds and the players are assigned roles in the different sections of the field. Each player wears a “bib’’ which shows an abbreviation of her role in the team. The abbreviations on the bibs as below:-
· GS- This player is the goal shooter and is allowed in own goal third including the goal circle. The player is responsible for shooting scores and should coordinate closely with the goal attack.
· GA- A goal attack player plays at the center and also at own goal third. He helps the goal shooter to shoot scores.
· C- The center player is allowed all over except the goal circles. She starts the game after a goal is scored and she is a key player in defending their team.
· WA- This is a wing attack player responsible for moving the ball from the center to the attacking position. The player is allowed at the center and own goal thirds excluding the goal circle.
· WD- This is a wing defender responsible for blocking plays from the opponent team. She is allowed to play at the center and opponent’s third but not in the goal circle.
· GD-She plays at the center and at the opponent’s goal thirds and assists the goal keeper in defending a goal attack.
· GK- A goal keeper also coordinates with the goal defender to prevent the opponent from scoring. She is allowed to play in the enemy goal thirds including the goal circle.
In order to win in netball, a team must score more goals than its opponent and it is only the two players allowed in the goal circle who can score. This game needs a good mastery of the passes in order to have a better hand in the game. It also needs good fitness especially for the center player because she plays both defensive and offensive game. Netball is truly a mental game and interesting to watch.